Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2012

II.5. - Ready




Is it so wrong to crave recognition? Is it so wrong to want rewarding? To want more than is given to you?  Tonight make me unstoppable, and I will charm, I will slice, I will dazzle them with my wit. Tonight make me unstoppable and I will charm, I will slice, I will dazzle, I will outshine all.

BLOC PARTY


He crumpled the page of the newspaper which he felt was deriding him personally, and threw it into the fireplace, watching it catch fire like all the other things he had hurled into the flames tonight. As crumpled as the paper, his insides felt, because he could burn the notice, but he couldn’t vanquish his burning awareness. ‘PAULINE AND RUSSEL POTTER ARE PROUD TO PRONOUNCE THE WEDDING BETWEEN THEIR SON JAMES POTTER AND LILY EVANS. WE WISH TO THANK EVERYBODY WHO…

Wish to thank everybody who didn’t turn up at the wedding and kill the bridegroom?! No – Severus wasn’t mentioned by name. Even though he had indeed merited an invitation – he had been stunned how unfeeling Lily could be, inviting him of all persons to her wedding with the world’s greatest prat! It wasn’t as if Severus had been running a close second place for the then vacant position, he had never – well – even mentioned that he… And if she had noticed, she had been kind enough to never mention it either. But her new husband – his lips curled disdainfully with the thought – had rapidly vanquished all kindness that Lily had ever possessed, and if he hadn’t fully succeeded yet, he surely would soon. As the invitation proved.

There was a knock at the door, and he growled, “Whatever it is – go away!”

“It’s me, Savvy.”

He squeezed his eyes shut and adopted a friendlier tone, “Please, Narcissa, leave me alone. I’m really not in the mood to –”

“Stop making excuses and open the door. You know I’m not above blasting it.”

“Yes, you are,” he said, unable to suppress a little smile.

“In any case, I’m not above staying here and getting on your nerves!”

“I could hex the door sound-proof, you know?”

“And you know that I’d know a spell to counteract that. Now stop making such a fuss and let me in.”

“I’ve got work to do, Cissa. I really have no time to – I got to finish two essays, and –”

Of course he opened the door after all, but not without making another dozen excuses first. Narcissa entered in all her regal glory – there weren’t that many witches on campus clad in brocade robes, and certainly none with her kind of attitude – and wearing a subtle smile on top. He sighed and gave her a little smile, too, indicating at a huge pile of books on his desk. She skimmed them with a disparaging glance.

“You’ve read all of them before you were of age even, Severus. You can fool anyone, but not me.”

“And why, I ask you, would I try to fool you?”

“Because you’re in a huff. Don’t you deny it – it’s written all across your face.” She cast a poignant glance at the fireplace, and the remnants of letters and photos smouldering there. She arched a brow, half quizzical, half pitiful, and said, “Now get your act together and accompany me, Lucius is waiting for us.”

He was speechless, and could only shake his head. He was of age by now, he had graduated from Hogwarts, enrolled in College, and even if he’d live to an old age – Narcissa would never drop that habit of looking at him like he was still a meagre First Year, skulking in some corner of the Slytherin Common Room. She seemed to guess his thoughts, because her air suddenly changed. She looked straight into his eyes, somewhat imploring, and muttered, “Come on, Savvy, please. I promised Lucius I’d bring you along.”

“But why? Honestly, Narcissa, I’m no good company tonight, you’ll have a much nicer evening without me.”

“I’ve seen so little of you in the past six weeks. How is it possible? Lucius has seen more of you, and he’s not even in College any longer. I want to hear how you’re doing.”

“I’m fine! Seriously, I could have told you so much through the closed door.”

“Now will you come or not? I’ve ordered a fabulous dinner, and Lucius mentioned he wants to kill a vat of Abraxas’ favourite Bordeaux. There’ll be no living next to him tomorrow if you let him drink it all on his own.”

“I take it you won’t take ‘no’ for an answer?”

Of course she wouldn’t. Severus doubted that Narcissa Malfoy had ever been denied anything she had taken into her head. He wasn’t stupid, he had an idea why she insisted so badly, and this was also the very reason why he didn’t want to go. He wouldn’t endure it to have his two friends belittle him because Lily had married that goddamned pain in the arse Potter. He didn’t want to talk about it, he didn’t want to think about it, and most of all, he really, really didn’t want any pity.

He couldn’t decline, naturally. Well, technically he could, but it would have been very improper. Lucius and Narcissa were financing his College education, they paid for the room, the fees, the books. That was another thing she had prevailed upon despite his fiercest resistance. He hadn’t wanted to go on living at his friends’ expense and graces, it was a question of pride and self-esteem. Hadn’t Narcissa preached him for years he’d have to stock up on self-esteem?! Now he had it, but he was still depending on her and her husband.

He had no money of his own, so he had applied for every bursary, grant and scholarship in the book. He still wondered how he could have been that naïve, all right. Albeit his fabulous marks, his eleven outstanding NEWTs, the fact that he had more brains than any of his fellow students, he – of course – hadn’t won a single one of them. These bloody bigots awarding grants cared more for his Muggle father than his IQ. He couldn’t help it, idiots! Nobody would have been more grateful than Severus himself if he had not got this father!

The Malfoys had offered at once to step into the breach, but he had refused. He’d rather work a few years, and if it was in some bloody Muggle job, to earn the money, than depend on his friends. Not that they didn’t have it. His entire education could possibly be paid for by one of Narcissa’s earrings, or a single one of the combs she used to tie up her hair. The Queen of Sheba hadn’t had more exquisite jewellery. Actually, Narcissa possessed half of the Queen’s gems already, they had been a gift for her twenty-first birthday from her doting husband. Severus smirked whenever he thought of it; in his mind, the fortunes of the Malfoys bordered on obscenity. Narcissa’s wedding ring was wielded of platinum and gold, a golden dragon and a platinum snake entwining on the background of opals, and topped by a ridiculously large solitaire. One day, she’d be bludgeoned to death only because some thief wanted to get the darned ring – well, it’d be the last thing that thief would ever do, except for begging Lucius to please, please kill him at last, probably.

However – Severus had said no and stood his ground. Not a week later, he had received a letter from one of the foundations that had rejected him. Some Madam Knightley had informed him that they would be able to do something for him after all – there was a full scholarship that he appeared to be cut out for, he should kindly show up for another interview, with the necessary papers, because this one scholarship could only be granted to someone with at least one Muggle parent, at least ten outstanding NEWTs and verified extracurricular achievements. He should have been suspicious, admittedly, but in that moment, he had been so overwhelmed by joy and relief, he hadn’t wondered for a minute where the hell they had unearthed that unheard-of grant.

The interview had been successful, and twenty-four hours after receiving the owl, he was the proud owner of a full scholarship, a modest room on campus, and the papyrus certificate proving him to be a Junior of Artemis College. He had rushed to write to his friends, reporting the unforeseen stroke of luck, and only when receiving their too-quick reply with an invitation for dinner to celebrate the joyous event, he had smelled the truth. In a flush of defiance, he had accepted the invitation and told Lucius straightaway that he would give back the grant first thing next morning. This one had shrugged, shaken his head and said, “Have it your way, then!”

Narcissa though had not put up with his refuse. “Listen, Savvy, you would have accepted everybody else’s money, right? Simply look at it this way – it’s a scholarship supposed to correct the insufferable injustice of the usual allocation process –”

“Why are you doing this? Lucius detests people of my birth!”

“You don’t seriously believe that Lucius detests you?!”

“Narcissa, let’s not deceive ourselves here. Lucius might not detest me, but that’s only because he’s come to appreciate me because you chose to befriend me in school! And he’d have put up with a manticore if you had chosen to keep it as your pet!”

“You’re not going to be sulking now, are you!”

“I’m not sulking, just saying how it is!”

“Whatever his initial reason might have been, Lucius regards you as his friend, Severus!”

He had felt ashamed and lowered his angry gaze. “Yes, I suppose he does…”

“And it’s not like this was some gift in the original sense of the idea either! Lucius did found that grant, but not exclusively for you, even if you are the first one to benefit from it. I already know the next beneficiary, he happens to be my brother-in-law! You deserve this money, Savvy! You’d have deserved any of the bursaries you applied for, much more than the cretins eventually getting them! If a bright kid like yourself cannot attend College, they can shut down the cursed place just as well!”

“But I –”    

“You’ll be great one day, Savvy! I mean, you’re great already, but there’ll come the time when you’ll truly outshine us all. If you think it’s necessary, you can pay back the money once you’ve patented your first potion, all right? And that is really the last thing I ever want to hear or say on this subject!”

So, he owed them, once again, he owed his two great friends. It didn’t sit well with him, but from a more rational point of view – the other students depended on the money that their parents gave them. Severus would never have taken a single penny from his old man (not that Tobias had a single penny to spare), he could accustom to take a loan from people he truly respected, and who’d spent just as much money only to acquire some exclusive bottle of wine.

Or an entire vat of it, like tonight. Narcissa hadn’t been joking; Lucius had one of his habitual fall-outs with his father, and decided to annoy the old warlock in the best way he could. Abraxas loved his wine cellar, more than his only child probably, so tonight, there was a French Bordeaux on the menu, the last vat from the famous 1793 vintage. A good deal was served along with the excellent dinner, they drank more in the parlour until Narcissa went to bed, and they made a pass to the poolroom next.

“Drink, pal,” Lucius muttered in a slightly slurred voice. “I’ve told the elves to use the rests for cleaning the brass cauldrons tomorrow.”

“He’ll murder you, I hope you bear that in mind.”

Lucius laughed out loud. “He’d love to, but he won’t, at least not before I haven’t propagated!”

“So that’s the reason why you haven’t already? You’re keeping a life insurance?” Severus grinned.

Lucius grinned, too. “Yep, that, and the fact that it’d be such a deplorable waste if Cissa didn’t finish her senior degrees. I like my woman sharp, y’know.”

“She already is, and you’re drunk.”

“Yes, I am.” He tried to aim the cue, but missed the ball by five inches at least. “Merlin, I am… You know… I – I think I… I reckon I’d be an appalling father…”

“What makes you say that?” Severus asked, awkward and slightly astonished. As long as he had known him, Lucius had never shown the remotest trace of self-doubt!

“Don’t know… I’m just not up for that sort of thing, I guess…” Lucius lifted his shoulders and shot the goblet in his hand a contemplative glance. “I know I’ll have to – eventually – but for now I’m glad that Cissa wants to get her Senior WASPs and all that. I’ll be such a total failure.”

“Rubbish,” Severus muttered more enthusiastically than he truly was. He, too, couldn’t imagine Lucius as a father.

“Look at my old man. Or yours, in that instance. I hate the idea of such a little tyke looking at me and loathing me as much as I loathe Abraxas, or as you hate old Tobias.”

Severus felt highly uncomfortable, and murmured, “Doesn’t have to be like that, right?”

Lucius swayed the wine in his goblet. “No… I reckon not… Cissa’s father isn’t like that. But I’m not cut out for the old, respectable patriarch type either, I’m afraid. Not in my blood.”

“How come…?”

“Ah, well… Abraxas keeps on bugging me… He was all over the place when he heard that Cissa won’t drop out of college after her Junior degrees. Thinks he must see to me producing the heir before it’s too late, the bastard.” Lucius’ grey eyes sparkled with subdued anger. “He’d never pick up a fight with her, but that doesn’t keep him from patronising and belittling her, does it, and frighten her, telling her I might be dead tomorrow… And as for me… Oh well.” He leant back and swallowed a good deal of wine with one big sip.

“What?”

“The bottom line? – It’s all my fault, of course. Can’t bring my wife to do as she ought to and all that shit. As if I’d even want to bring her to do anything. He wouldn’t dare to say that to her face, naturally! Always going on how smart she is – but behind her back, he wants her to throw it all away, and let herself be reduced to a breeding cow, that filthy shithead! You should have heard him!”

“What did he say then?”

“Oh, you don’t really want to know! I don’t want to talk about it either… – You reckon they’d suspect me if Abraxas was found murdered?”

“You’d be the number one on their list of suspects, mate.”

“And if I had an alibi or something?”

“You. Are. Not. Going. To. Murder. Your. Father. Get real, man!”

“What about this? I do your dad, and you’ll finish off mine in turn? It’d be perfect, it’d be –”

Severus giggled and wrenched his last ball. “If someone’s killing off old Toby, that’s going to be me and no one else, buddy. No jesting. I want to be the last one seeing the prick writhing in agony.”

“And I’ll keep watch. Get some inspiration for dealing with Abraxas.” Lucius snorted with laughter. “Come, Savvy, let’s have a couple more goblets so we can plead non compos mentis, and then we’ll handle all these idiots with one big stroke. Starting with Abraxas, your dad next, not to forget Potter and Cissa’s bloody cousin, and while we’re at it, we could finish off Dumbledore, too, and this wonk Filch; oh, and Yaxley – I hate this guy – he’s still trying to give Cissa the come-on, can you imagine?! – and the guy from the Leaky Cauldron who refused to serve us more drinks last week –”

“No offence, Lucius, but you don’t even score a hit with the cue anymore. You’d accidentally kill me while pointing your wand at the barman!”

“Oh, all right. We could try and have some fun with Potter though.”

Severus stiffened and looked away. “Potter… Ph! I won’t go to Azkaban only because of some jerk who gave me a hard time in school.”

“And who happened to marry your sweetheart yesterday.”

“Oh, bugger off, Lucius, will you!” He swallowed a whole goblet of wine with one big sip. “I couldn’t care less.”

“I would care if I were you.”

“But you’re not. You married your sweetheart, and incidentally, Lily Potter –” He spat the name. “– never was my sweetheart anyhow! You don’t think I’d pine for a chick who throws herself into the arms of the world’s biggest wanker! Did Cissa instruct you to give me that speech?”

“She didn’t tell me to give you any speech, pal. She mentioned en passant that you might not be in too good a mood, and she was talking all the time that she wanted to invite you and see how you like College and all. Stop being so bloody suspicious.”

Severus left it at that, only acknowledging that he, indeed, wasn’t in the highest of spirits. He didn’t need bloody Lily Evans – oh, pardon, Lily Potter – to dampen his mood. His mum was ill, his father had gambled away half of their house in only one night, and his fellow students in College made sure he didn’t forget ‘his place’ for just five minutes. So did his professors, although they were a bit more subtle than his next door neighbour, who had seized the opportunity when Severus was in the library in his first week, to fill his room half-full with mud. ‘Half-mud,’ Carl Robards had cackled.

Lucius woke him up from his gloomy brooding and asked, “How’s your mum, anyway?”

“Bad…” His face darkened and he drank more, on the verge of being sick.

“Is there anything I could do for her?”

“Thanks for asking, Lucius, seriously, but… No money in the world could help her in the end…”

“I could deal with your old man. I was serious about that.”

“And so was I.”

“No, I mean… Not like killing him… Just get him out of the way. Sick – or in jail – or Imperiused.”

Severus strained hard to look his friend straight in the eyes. “Thank you. Honestly. You’re a real friend.”

“Sure thing… So what do you want me to go for? A nice little case of dragon pox?”

“If you want to do something for me – or her – just show me how to do that and I’ll do it myself,” Severus said, half serious.

He knew that his friend was a senior member of the Dark Order – people who were dedicated to the Dark Arts, and so good about them that the Ministry of Magic waged war on them. Or the other way round, perhaps. He really needed to sober up… Severus had wanted to join up, too – it had been his dearest ambition, in fact. But unlike every other member of the Sepulture Septuplet, and many other guys from school after their graduation, he had never been invited for the interview. He had asked Lucius a few times – but Lucius had always shaken his head. Sure. The Death Eaters wouldn’t have a half-blood either, no matter how good he was!

“I… I can’t,” Lucius murmured vaguely, shrugging and shooting him a sympathetic look.

“Yeah. I know. They’ll accept no half-bloods like myself. But perhaps you could just –” He stopped, irritated because Lucius had broken out in merry giggles.

“Not accept you?! Boy, forget that! For a start – they so don’t care who your father is as long as you prove your worth!”

“Correct me, but aren’t they on a crusade to kill off people like me?”

He could be mistaken, but Severus thought he saw a strange expression on his friend’s face. It didn’t last, and more sober than he had been in the past two hours, he gazed firmly at him. “On a crusade to kill off the unworthy, Sev. That’s quite a difference. Sod your rotten father, he doesn’t fucking matter as long as you’re as good as you are! I know for a bloody fact that the Dark Lord wouldn’t mind…”

“So how come you never… I want to join, Lucius! I’m ready! You know I am! I’m twice as good as Mulciber and Avery, I –”

“I know! Don’t think I didn’t know that, for goodness’ sake!”

“But why don’t you introduce me, then?”

“Because Cissa expressly told me so.”

What?!” His jaw dropped to his chest. Cissa?! Cissa had prevented him from – all her talking, all her ‘Oh, you’ll be great once’ and ‘you’re so worthy, Savvy’ – well, not worthy enough, right?! Cissa knifing him?! After all that time? Damned females! All of them! Pretending to be all nice and benevolent, only to ram a dagger into your back when you least expected it!

Lucius smiled lopsidedly. “She cares for you, mate.”

“Oh, I can see that!” he exclaimed, scandalised. “By stabbing me in the back?! By keeping me down?! By –”

“By wanting to make sure you live, silly! This is war – you kids come from school and think it’s a bit of playing around, but it isn’t. The Aurors got permission to kill now –”

“I can deal with that!”

“Can you? Can you really?” Lucius tried to get his act together, but his eyes were still blurred. “Didn’t you hear? Not six months ago, they got old Robinius Lestrange. My brother-in-law escaped, hair’s breadth, had to leave behind his own uncle. And mark my words, he was a mighty wizard, Robinius, he really was. Knew his stuff.”

“I can handle that!” Severus cried, but Lucius merely shrugged and emptied his goblet. Severus changed his tactics, giving his voice an imploring tone. “Please, Lucius! Give me one chance to prove myself! Please! I’m good, I’m really good! Everybody keeps on telling me I’m worthless, but I know I’m not, I –”

“I know, all right? I know that you – you’ve got what it takes, Severus. I mean it. But –”

“Okay, I see you are afraid of messing with your wife.” Severus sneered, but quickly composed his features. Seemingly though, Lucius was too drunk to notice, the tone as well as the sneer. “So just give me the name of your superior, so I can ask them instead. Please, Lucius. Come on!”

Lucius giggled. “My superior? I can’t give you his name, boy! I’m forbidden to speak it!”

Severus was dumbfounded. In his wine-sodden haze, he tried to figure out just how many names were unspeakable among the Death Eaters. “Uh –”

Lucius cackled still, a tad hysterical now. “Don’t you know? Did none of the guys ever let it slip? Good for them… – I have no superior but the master himself! I’m the sodding second-in-command of the lot! Hand-picked by the Dark Lord himself! I’m his frigging crown prince!”

All right, Severus hadn’t figured that out. He hadn’t thought that his mate’d be so high up in charge. And he had positively never been more awed by his friend. “You – are… Wow! I mean – just – not that I had ever doubted your – but this is really –”

Lucius smirked and freshened up their drinks. “Yeah. Well.”

Severus looked over, impressed beyond words. In his eyes, Lucius Malfoy had always been everything. Everything. Everything that Severus was not and would never ever be. Lucius had been born to an ancient name and lived up to it, while Severus hardly dared owning up to his own Muggle name. Lucius was exceedingly handsome, so charismatic, so popular, so smart and cunning, so talented as a player, so charming if he had wanted, so dominant and intimidating if he hadn’t; not even damned Sirius Black had dared to insult Lucius Malfoy to his face. Severus on the other hand looked like a cross-breeding between an over-large gnome and a crow, skinny, scrawny, shabby and beak-nosed as he was, no one ever listening to him, no one ever caring. And the Dark Arts had propelled Lucius even further up; second-in-command of the Order which was about to overthrow the Ministry itself. Of course. And he had married his sweetheart, too. Severus had a bitter taste in his mouth and sipped some more wine. It had taken someone like Lucius to win someone like Narcissa. Of course.

“Cissa must be so proud of you.”

Lucius turned his head, apparently astonished. “Excuse me? Didn’t catch that.”

“Cissa… She must be delighted,” he repeated, louder.

“Oh…” Lucius frowned and half shook his head before thinking twice. He twisted his face into an apologetic smile. “Well, you know her. She’s not fond of clubs, is she… She’s scared, and I can’t say she’s being unreasonable. I guess she can live with it because she knows that my position is the only thing keeping her brother-in-law safe in the long run, but for the rest… It’s… It’s really dangerous, keep that in mind. One wrong move, and you can lose everything. Your family, your freedom, your life.”

“I don’t have a family, all I have is a mother who’s allowing a complete jerk to torment her, and if I can do anything to make her better, if I… I’m sick of it all, so sick, my old man, how he’s treating her, how she allows him to treat her, I’m sick of these dastardly guys in College, students and staff alike, I’m sick of being treated like vermin, I’m sick of giving in. What are my freedom, my life worth, the way it’s now?!”

Lucius hesitated to answer. For a start, he spilled the content of his goblet into the next best succulent, and conjured a carafe of water. “You must be a hundred percent sure, because there’s no way back. Once you’ve joined, you’re in, body and soul. The power though… I can’t explain it to you, you’d have to see for yourself. It’s incredible what the Dark Lord can do. It’s incredible what he can show you, teach you to do… It’s absolutely awesome!”

Severus listened with interest, intrigued by the exalted gleam in Lucius’ otherwise so cold, grey eyes. This one rhapsodised more and more; the power, the abilities, the sheer resistless magnificence of the mighty, ancient incantations. Lucius had always been an admirable wizard, however lazy and listless. But the way he was talking now, he emanated exactly that kind of power he was enthusing about. Severus believed it at once that he was looking at the second-in-command of the Dark Order, despite Lucius’ youth.

“Show me,” Severus muttered. “Teach me.”

Lucius shot him a sharp glance. “You are serious?”

“I am. I’ve got nothing to lose, and this is what I always wanted. Please, Lucius!”

Lucius hesitated for a second before he got to his feet. “Come on then! Let’s get out of here.”

*****

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen